Search FRESCO
Start Over Export MARC Display Another Search
     

Corporate author Frick Collection.
Title The Frick Collection Central Files (1932-1936), 1930-1937.
Description 24.5 linear feet (44 boxes, oversize material).
Arrangement Arranged chronologically by year and alphabetically by subject within each year.
Location Call Number Vol./Copy Status Information
 Frick Archives  TFC.400.10    AVAIL BY APPT
Access restrictions These records are open for research under the conditions of The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives access policy. Contact the Archives Department for further information at archives@frick.org.
Summary The Frick Collection's alphabetical subject files, 1932-1936, document the conversion of the New York residence of Henry Clay Frick to a public art museum, The Frick Collection, and the construction of a new Frick Art Reference Library building. The work of Organizing Director Frederick Mortimer Clapp; Frick Collection Trustees, including John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and Henry Clay Frick's children, Helen Clay Frick and Childs Frick; architect John Russell Pope; and general contractor Marc Eidlitz & Son are documented in correspondence, internal memorandums, minutes, reports, clippings, inventories, contracts, and summaries of informal meetings and telephone conversations.
Topics covered include the selection of John Russell Pope as architect; details related to the design, construction and selection of materials for both the Collection and the Library; the interior decoration of the rooms; and the rehanging of the art. In addition, matters related to finances, insurance, public relations, salvage of materials, and the publication of a small catalogue are all also documented. Primary correspondents are Frederick Mortimer Clapp, John D. Rockefeller, Jr., Walker D. Hines, Childs Frick, Helen Clay Frick, John Russell Pope, L.W. Eisinger, Marc Eidlitz, and John Henry Hammond, The Frick Collection Counsel.
Biographical/historical note The Frick Collection was founded by Pittsburgh industrialist and art collector Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919), who bequeathed his New York residence and art collection as a public art gallery. After the death of Henry Clay Frick's wife, Adelaide Frick, on October 4, 1931, the Board of Trustees began the process of converting the Frick residence into a museum. Frederick Mortimer Clapp was appointed adviser (and was named Organizing Director in January 1933), John Russell Pope was selected as the architect for the project, and Marc Eidlitz & Son was chosen as the general contractor.
The plans called for the construction of the Boucher Room, the Oval Room, the East Gallery, the Garden Court, the Lecture Room, a new entrance hall, and a basement vault, as well as a new 13-story building to house the Frick Art Reference Library. The construction project entailed the demolition Mr. Frick's former office, the porte-cochere and courtyard, the old Frick Art Reference Library building, and two properties at 10-12 East 71st Street. After works of art and furnishings were moved into the newly constructed basement vault, construction began in August 1933. The new Frick Art Reference Library building opened to the public on January 14, 1935, and The Frick Collection opened to the public on December 16, 1935.
Cite as The Frick Collection Central Files (1932-1936). The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives.
Finding aids Available online and in repository.
LC subject Clapp, Frederick Mortimer, 1879-
Frick, Childs, 1883-1965.
Frick, Helen Clay, 1888-1984.
Frick, Henry Clay, 1849-1919.
Pope, John Russell, 1874-1937.
Rockefeller, John D., Jr. (John Davison), 1874-1960.
Frick Art Reference Library.
Frick Collection.
Marc Eidlitz & Son.
Syska & Hennessy.
Art libraries.
Art museum architecture.
Art museums -- New York (State) -- New York.
Library architecture.
Mansions -- Remodeling for other use.
Genre/Form Brochures.
Correspondence.
Newspaper clippings.
Minutes.
WorldCat no. 612306978

Permanent link to this page: