Search FRESCO
Start Over Export MARC Display Another Search
     

Corporate author Frick Collection.
Title The Frick Collection Construction Records, 1933-1937.
Description 7.5 linear feet (15 boxes).
Arrangement The collection is arranged in three series: Series I: Contracts and Orders, 1933-1936; Series II: Progress Reports, January 1933-January 1936; and Series III: Bills, Receipt and Vouchers, 1933-1937; an appendix list of subcontractors follows.
Location Call Number Vol./Copy Status Information
 Frick Archives  TFC.500    AVAILABLE BY APPT
Access restrictions These records are open for research under the conditions of The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives access policy. Contact the Archives Department for further information at archives@frick.org.
Summary Records document work details of the conversion of the New York residence of the Frick family into The Frick Collection, a public art gallery, and the construction of a new 13-story Frick Art Reference Library building. The work of the general contractor, Marc Eidlitz & Son, and the subcontractors hired for the construction project is documented in contracts, invoices, daily progress reports, work orders, receipts, and vouchers. The files date from 1933 to 1937, with the bulk dating from 1933 to 1935. Documentation of the construction project includes contracts outlining the specific work to be performed by each subcontractor; daily progress reports, detailing work done by each subcontractor and the number of men on site; the types of materials and equipment used; and the cost of equipment, materials and labor.
Biographical/historical note Pittsburgh industrialist and art collector Henry Clay Frick (1849-1919) bequeathed his New York home, furnishings and works of art to be established as a public art gallery, The Frick Collection. In 1931, upon the death of Mr. Frick's wife, Adelaide, the Board of Trustees began the process of converting the Frick residence at One East 70th Street into a public museum, and constructing a new building for the Frick Art Reference Library. Frederick Mortimer Clapp was hired as an adviser on the project and was named Organizing Director of The Frick Collection in 1933. John Russell Pope was hired as the architect, and Marc Eidlitz & Son was selected as the general contractor. After a vault was first constructed to house works of art and furnishings, construction began in August, 1933. The construction project entailed the demolition Mr. Frick's former office, the porte-cochere and courtyard, the old Frick Art Reference Library building, and two properties at 10-12 East 71st Street; newly constructed were the Oval Room, the East Gallery, the Garden Court, the Lecture Room, the Entrance Hall, and a new Library building. The new Frick Art Reference Library building opened on January 14, 1935, and The Frick Collection opened to the public on December 16, 1935.
Finding aids Available online and in repository.
LC subject Clapp, Frederick Mortimer, 1879-1969.
Pope, John Russell, 1874-1937.
Frick Collection.
Marc Eidlitz & Son.
Architecture.
Building.
Construction contracts.
Mansions -- Remodeling for other use.
Genre/Form Invoices.
Progress reports.
Receipts (financial records).
Vouchers.
WorldCat no. 612322641

Permanent link to this page: