Search FRESCO
Start Over Export MARC Display Another Search
     

Author/Artist Colonel Edward Philippe Mackenzie.
Title Downham Hall Inventories, 1880-1881.
Description 0.25 linear feet (2 attached volumes in one case)
Location Call Number Vol./Copy Status Information
 Frick Archives  MS.061    AVAILABLE BY APPT
Access restrictions These records are open for research by appointment under the conditions of The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives Access Policy. For all inquiries or to schedule an appointment, please contact the Archives Department at archives@frick.org.
Summary Two attached lined notebooks contain two inventories of the contents of Downham Hall in 1880 and 1881. The first, "An Inventory of the Household Furniture, Books, Pictures, and Effects at Downham Hall," completed in October of 1880 and carried through both notebooks, details the contents of 50 rooms and spaces within the house as well as outbuildings and gardens. Also includes loose page tallying the number of plants in the gardens, greenhouse, conservatory, etc. The second inventory, "List of Furniture at Downham Hall belonging to Edward Philippe Mackenzie," completed in September of 1881, begins at the last page of the first notebook and runs upside down and backwards. This inventory details Edward Philippe Mackenzie's furniture, rugs, pictures, linens, and other furnishings found in 18 rooms.
Biographical/historical note Downham Hall was an estate located in the village of Santon Downham in the Forest Heath district of Suffolk in eastern England. Scottish banker and railway entrepreneur Edward Mackenzie Esq. purchased Downham Hall from Lord William Paulett in 1871. When Mackenzie died in 1880, he left the estate to his son, William Dalziel Mackenzie Esq. (1840-1828), but gave the occupation of Downham Hall to his younger son, Colonel Edward Philippe Mackenzie (1842-1929). The estate was used by the military in WWI, and then sold by the family in 1918. It passed through the hands of a succession of land speculators and companies before it was acquired by the Forestry Commission in 1924. The Hall was demolished sometime between 1925 and 1927.
Cite as Downham Hall Inventories. The Frick Collection/Frick Art Reference Library Archives.
Other subject Colonel Edward Philippe Mackenzie.
LC subject Art -- Collectors and collecting -- England.
Decorative arts -- Collectors and collecting -- England.
Mansions -- England.
WorldCat no. 892018887

Permanent link to this page: